We have changed the way files are stored on the web site and no longer use the WP-Filebase plugin because it has been withdrawn and is no longer maintained. If you are new to the EWPH web site please read the information on this page before using the following links describing how to upload files:
- instructions for uploading single files
- instructions for uploading groups of documents (advanced users)
All files are now stored in the Media folder also known as the uploads folder. Access to this folder is primarily through the Media Folders Library icon in the dashboard on the left hand side of the page when you have logged into the web site. There is information on organising folders and renaming files on the Managing the Media Library guidelines page.
Important. When uploading files to the web site please do so through Media Folders Library and not through the Media panel even if you have read on the web that this is how to upload media files. The EWPH web site is quite complex and we use several plugins like Media Library Folders to provide additional functionality. Please do not use the File Manager panel as this is meant for advanced administration of the web site.
If you want to store pictures on the web server you should use one of the following options:
- Scans of historic photographs should be saved to the Heritage Photo Archive
- Scans of historic documents should be added to the Document Archive
- Recent photos intended to be shown as a slideshow or group of images should be stored in galleries in the NextGen Gallery as described in the slideshow or thumbnail guidelines
- Single images to display can be added to the Media Library Folders or the NextGen Gallery as described in the single image guidelines
We now use the Media Folders Library for uploading and storing documents such as PDF files, Word documents or Spreadsheets. However if you have a scanned image of a document as a JPG file it can be stored in this area as well . You may want to consider using the online (and free) Adobe JPG to PDF conversion app to convert a JPG file to a PDF file for uploading a scanned document to the web site.
The following plugins are used to manage files:
- File Manager gives access to the folders and files in the media area in much the same was as the File Explorer does on your PC and is primarily intended for site administration and bulk uploads of files
- Media Folders Library is used to add a documents to the media library which can be added to a page either as a link, an embedded PDF or a Flipbook PDF
- Media -> Folder Management is used to display the browse options for file type, date and folders at the top of the screen shown when you click on the Add Media button. This list will need to be refreshed if you reorganise the Media folders using Media Folders Library – this is described in the Folder Management section on this page
The File Manager is used for uploading documents that will be displayed in a table of related documents such as meeting minutes. Documents uploaded this way are not registered as Media files and cannot be added individually to a page using the Add Media button as described on the Single Image and Managing Media Files guidelines.
Please do not rename or move folders and files using the File Manager unless you are sure they are not included in the Media Folders Library.
You can find out how to add files this way on the Storing Groups of Documents guideline page.
Media Folders Library
Uploading a file using the Media Library Folders (or directly to the Media area) will register the file so that it can be linked to a page using the Add Media button. You can find out how to add files this way on the Uploading Individual Documents and Managing the Media Library guidelines.
A large number of folders have already been created for storing documents that will be displayed as a table of documents on a web page. The committee meeting minutes are a good example of documents that will be added to an existing folder.
If you add a create or rename a folder please refresh the Folder Management folders list as described in the next section.
In order to provide browse and search capabilities to the Add Media feature used to insert images or documents on a web page we use the Folder Management plugin but this plugin does no refresh the list of media folders automatically.
If you have added new folders using the Media Folder Library you will need to update the folder management view as follows:
- on the dashboard select the Folder Management section under the Media section
- open the Settings section at the top of the page
- open the Initialization section at the end of the settings
- Click on the Initialization button and wait (do not shut down the browser window) – it normally takes about a minute to refresh the folder information