The Parish Hall records show that the Hall was hired by Mr Nutall, the agent for Sir Cedric Drewe, a British Conservative Party politician who was elected as MP to the House of Commons for South Molton at the 1924 general election. The general election was held on 29th October 1924. The recorded dates of hire are 15th October 1924, which was presumably electioneering, and 5th November 1924, presumably a post-election address.
The Hall was again hired by Mr Drewe’s agent on 28th March 1930 for a meeting. There are no other details recorded. This is interesting in the fact that Sir Cedric Drewe lost his South Molton seat at the 1929 general election, held on 30th May 1929.
Drewe returned to Parliament two years later, at the 1931 general election, for the Honiton constituency. He held the seat until he retired from Parliament at the 1955 general election.
Cedric was the son of Julius Drewe, the English businessman, retailer, and entrepreneur, who had built Castle Drogo at Drewsteignton, Devon.