This timeline provides key information relevant to the establishment and provision of schooling for children living in East and West Worlington.
The timeline provides information within five main themes
Each theme is represented by a colour and a logo.
Key
Theme | Colour | Icon |
Church / School House | Green and Cream | |
School | Purple and Thistle | |
Headteacher and staff | Brown and Red | |
National Context | Yellow and Orange | |
Worlington Parish and Community |
Blue and Sky Blue |
National Schools were established by the National Society, an organisation that had a mission to provide Elementary Education alined to the teaching of the Church of England, for the poor.
By 1857 a National School had been established in East Worlington.
To learn more about the emergence and development of National Schools click on continue reading.

The rationale for the first appointments of HMI linked inspection to “the improvement of elementary education” and HMI were required to inspect and report on “what improvements in the apparatus and internal management of schools, in school management and discipline, and in the methods of teaching have been sanctioned by the most extensive experience”
The first national population census was conducted in 1841. The residents of Church House were recorded as Thomas Hill (aged 65), Elizabeth Hill (aged 65), and Samuel Hill (aged 24).
The population census of 1851 recorded Thomas Hill (aged 77) and Elizabeth Hill (aged 77) as residents. Both these residents were recorded as paupers implying the building had the function of Poor House.
Below is the extract of the 1851 Census confirming Thomas and Elizabeth Hill were both paupers.
By 1857 a National School has appeared in East Worlington, supported by the Earl of Portsmouth, with R Sleep as the Master.
By 1870 the building was used as a school with residential facilities for the school master
The Elementary Education Act of 1870, also known as the Forster Act, established the framework for schooling in England and Wales, particularly for children aged 5 to 13.
1st July 1918 A Bentham (who stayed for two weeks)
15th July 1918 S.V. Ford ( who did not return after the school’s summer holiday)
9th September 1919 C.J.F. Tipper (who stayed until W.H. Edmonds return on 3rd February 1919)

26th February 1940 the temporary Head was E Williams.
4th March 1940 Walter Bleby took up the temporary position.
5th May 1940 the temporary Head was Mary Ollerenshaw
9th September 1946 Mrs E.V. Hooper appointed as supply Headmistress
7th October 1946 Mrs E.M.B. Woodward appointed as supply Headmistress
