Looking forward to the next website development meeting by Zoom this mornIng. Good progress is being made.
This Edition provides information about Social Media. East and West Worlington Community Facebook We are using our Community Facebook page to provide weekly posts on the theme memories of Worlington....
6 days ago
Memories of Worlington 10: Our Churches. Each person will have different perspectives, interests and memories of churches in the parish, whether regular attendees at church services; visiting personally for private reflection; attending special services, e.g. Christmas, Easter, etc.; special events e.g. baptisms, weddings and funerals; visitors; people interested in church architecture; historians; or seen as places in the community. In the current parish of East Worlington there are two churches, St Mary’s, West Worlington and St Mary’s East Worlington. Their history is of interest. Historically the parish that is now East Worlington was originally three different parishes, Affeton, West Worlington and East Worlington. The de Affeton family are the earliest recorded holders of the manor of Affeton, from which they took their name. They held the manor from the feudal barony of Plympton, the barons of which were the Courtenay Earls of Devon and feudal barons of Okehampton. A parish was probably established there in the 13th century. The de Affeton line in the parish was superseded by that of Stucley around 1434 when Sir Hugh Stucley whose family were from Huntingdonshire married Katherine, the only daughter and heir of Sir John de Affeton. Affeton has always been a small parish and was effectively merged with the adjacent parish of West Worlington when in 1437 the Bishop of Exeter, gave the rector of West Worlington ministry over its smaller neighbour. The reason for a church in West Worlington and one in the close neighbouring East Worlington was due to land ownership. West Worlington parish was in the domain of the Stucley family and East Worlington parish predominantly in the ownership of the Earl of Portsmouth. For at least 700 years East and West Worlington were separate parishes. That arrangement changed in 1885 when the two parishes were united for civic purposes under the title of East Worlington. 34 years later the ‘livings’ were similarly united by an Order of Council dated August 18th, 1919 and the rectory of West Worlington was sold off. The ‘livings’ of East Worlington continued until 1958 at which time it was put into abeyance and the East Worlington rectory was also sold. In 1967 the two St Mary’s became part of Little Dart Team Ministry. The churches are now ‘managed’ by Worlington Parochial Church Council. One aspect of our churches are the bells and the bell ringers. Both churches have 6 bells. Our research confirms bell ringing has been important in our parish/es from early records in the C19th and continues today with a group of proud ringers. Do you have any memories and photographs connected to our churches? This week’s photographs pay tribute to our churches. ... more...See Less
Lockdown has provided an opportunity to reflect on our local heritage. Some of that reflection has enabled weekly posts on our Community Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/EastandWestWorlingtonCommunityWebsite/ This week the focus was our churches.