From September 2017 through to August 2018 as part of the Heritage Project Activities we asked a question once a month about the local community. The responses that provided additional information about the community have been collected here.
East Worlington was connected to mains water in 1952 and electricity in 1956/57 – see our Parish Hall Timelines page for more notable event dates.
The first kitchen was installed around 1966, on this page you can view the Original Kitchen Plan.
There is information about the local home guard on our Interesting Fact 5 – Home Guard page.
|February||PENDING: We’re still collating the local photographs and deciding on the best way to showcase them.|
PENDING: We’re planning to put all events on our Parish Hall Timeline 1900-present page and when we have them listed we’ll put the answer here.
The toilets and front entrance were added in the late 1960s, you see a photo of the hall without the new front entrance here.
The Parish Hall is a traditional Devon barn built of cob (a mix of local clay, small stones and straw) with a random stone plinth (foundation) rendered with a lime plaster render. More information is available on the problems and repairs required for this type of building construction, and our inspection of the hall floor during the 2015-17 renovation work.
The Parish Hall was listed Grade II on 3rd of October 1975 as Entry 1170913 on the Historic England Listing web site: we have a map detailing all of the local Listed Buildings the East Worlington Parish.
A Tithe Barn was used in the Middle Ages for storing rents and tithes: traditionally a tithe was a tax of one-tenth of each farmers’ annual produce paid to a local church or rectory. A Threshing Barn was used to thresh and store local grain: threshing is where the grain (typically wheat or barley) is separated from from the husks and straw by beating the crop on a threshing floor usually of flattened earth or clay. The Parish Hall may well have been used for threshing at some point as our inspection of the hall floor during the 2015-17 renovation work showed the south end of the hall had a compacted earthen floor.