Download the fact sheet PDF files:
The earliest features seen in the Old School House, formerly Church House are 17th Century. Built of cob walls it would originally have a thatched roof.
In 1727 it consisted of three rooms on the ground floor with a chamber over. It was rented by the Church from the Earl of Portsmouth, local landowner, and was used for a meeting
and drinking place.
FIRST NATIONAL SCHOOL
By 1857 a National School has appeared in East Worlington, supported by the Earl of Portsmouth, with R. Sleep as master. From the time of its establishment the school was housed in the upper room of the Church House with paupers below. The school continued to use the first floor until 1868, when a new National School (the present larger classroom ) was built.
By 1871, the Church House was now called School House, lived in by the schoolmaster, John Francis Lemon. The National School closed in about 1873.
The Grade II Listing confirms that much renovation work was undertaken in early C19th. Other records suggest this work cost £60. During the early part of the C19th it was used as a poor house. This was confirmed in the 1851 census when it appears as Church House and was occupied by paupers.
SCHOOL MASTER AND FAMILY 1914
The Master between 1899 and 1924 was William Henry Edmonds. He left to take a farm in 1924. In 1902.3 his salary was £85 with house, rates and taxes. He lived in the school house with his family. Little Dorothy was one of his children.
no images were found
Dorothy sat at the door of the old school house She is listening to the gramophone. Sadly Dorothy died aged 5
EDUCATION ACT 1870 AND SCHOOL BOARDS
The Education Act 1870 created to requirement to establish School Boards to ensure the provision of elementary education for children aged 5–13. In 1874 the first meeting of the new East Worlington School Board was held. On November 2nd 1874 a deed of Gift of the new School and School House from the Earl of Portsmouth was presented to the Board. The Board School itself was opened on 5th April 1875, with John Dainty as master. At this time the School and School House were insured for the sum of £400.
END OF AN ERA
The School House continued to be the home of the headteachers of the school until 1979, when as it was no longer needed for accommodation it became part of the school itself. The downstairs rooms became a library / assembly room and a music / small group room, with storage upstairs. There was a staff toilet at the back. A block shed for PE storage was added on the end of the building.
50 YEARS OF CHANGE TO MEET NEEDS
In 1952 the kitchen was added on. The playgroup (later pre-school at one time met in one of the upstairs rooms and at another time in the downstairs ones. This situation was improved when a new room was built incorporating the toilet, the shed and extending outwards giving the playgroup their own designated area, with new staff toilet being built upstairs above the library. The library was improved in 2002 to make it more fit for purpose and work including the exposing of the old stone fireplace in that room. The following year the office was moved from what had once been the coal house at the rear of the main school building to the School House. Shelves for storage were built in the room above the library and another upstairs room became the staff room.
CHULMLEIGH ACADEMY TRUST
The school converted to be an Academy as part of Chulmleigh Academy Trust in 2011. The School House was in need of urgent repair. Through DfE funding secured by the Trust it was possible to refurbish and conserve the School House Extensive work was undertaken, internal floors and ceilings had to be removed ad rebuilt, and the restored School House officially
reopened on 3rd June 2016.